As promised, here’s the first in a series of posts about Moscow Area officer positions, in the run-up to our Area Council on June 7 and the elections of next season’s Area team.
Are you willing to be the driving force behind the promotional efforts of Moscow Toastmasters for 2017-18 TM year? Or do you know a person who is just right for this position? Then send your application to email@example.com!
Why should you bother? Because being a Public Relations manager for Toastmasters Moscow is a great opportunity to:
- Practice building and promoting a global brand in Russia
- Try your hand at event management
- Network with people both within our vibrant community and outside it
- Improve your oral and written communication in English and Russian languages
- Practice creative copywriting
- Learn /practice new technical tools useful for promotion
- Learn to work in a modern-style, horizontal, emergent team
Here’s what one of the people who previously performed this role has to say about it:
“Being an Area PR manager is like having an important position in a big corporation. For me it was a good opportunity to develop my leadership skills in a new role. Success of the 8th International Conference was the biggest achievement of my team during that time. And now I have an impressive point in my CV ;)”
Evgenia Maseeva, Moscow Area PR manager in 2014-15
The specific responsibilities of a PR manager include:
- Design and send email campaigns (we currently use Mailchimp) about Area-level events.
- Take photos and videos at Area events and publish them to club’s website/youtube channel/FB page
- Publish previews and reviews of Area-level events
- Keep toastmasters.ru website and Facebook page up to date with interesting content
- Design & order promotional items (eg leaflets, event agendas etc.) and Moscow Area-branded souvenirs (eg contest prizes)
- Facilitate the exchange of experience and best practices among club VPPRs
- Organize special events to promote Toastmasters in Moscow and Russia in general
The key skills/qualities for this position :
- Creativity – you should be the ‘idea engine’ of the team
- Teamwork – while the design is largely your responsibility, all Area team members provide input for the PR materials
- Tech literacy – even if you don’t know the specific tools we are using, you can easily pick them up, provided you have the willingness & ability to learn
- Good style – you should be comfortable writing solid promo materials in English/Russian
- Responsibility – if you take on a task, see it through to the end! The community depends on you
- Gusto – generally optimistic life outlook, enthusiasm and can-do attitude
Are you up for it? Send a letter stating your wish to be Moscow Area PR manager to firstname.lastname@example.org!